After the mayhem of 2008 recession, unemployment in US is at an all time high. In the absence of sufficient jobs, many people are settling for part-time jobs in order to meet their daily expenses.
Most see part-time jobs as a good thing in an uncertain economy where there just aren’t enough jobs for everyone. However, everything has its positives and negatives. The same holds for part-time jobs too.
Advantages of part-time jobs
- You can work on diverse projects- When you are working part-time, you can pick work from different employers. That gives you an opportunity to work on diverse projects. Thus, the chances of monotony setting in are lesser than in a full-time job.
- You can set your own schedule- You don’t have to rush to work every morning. You don’t have to schedule your day according to your office hours. In most part-time jobs, you can decide your own schedule. You can choose to work at night, during the day, or whatever suits you fine.
- It is a great option for students and mothers- Often, mothers find it difficult to juggle between a full-time job and parenthood. For them, part-time jobs are a great boon. They can earn their money while devoting their full attention to kids. Similarly, students too need pocket money for their daily expenses. However, their crammed academic schedule makes a full-time job impossible. Part-time jobs come to their rescue.
Disadvantages of part-time jobs
- No benefits- Often, employers won’t give benefits such as healthcare, pension etc., to part-time employees. That is a big disadvantage compared to full-time jobs.
- Growth is difficult- Part-time employees are not held in the same regard as full-time employees. It can be difficult to command respect as a part-time worker. Thus, growing in monetary terms as well as professional terms can be difficult with part-time jobs.
- It does not add too much value to your resume- Part-time jobs do not add too much value to your resume. In fact, if you are a graduate, working part-time can have a negative impact once you go finding a full-time job.
Is part-time job for you?
Based on the pros and cons of part-time jobs listed above, it really comes down to priorities. For example, if you are a mother and you would rather give time to your kids than to your career, the part-time option is ideal for you.
However, if you are somebody with high goals and aspirations, part-time may not be ideal, at least not in the long run.
How to find part time jobs
There are plenty of ways to find part-time jobs. The best way is to find part-time jobs online. Get active on social networking sites like Linkedin and try selling your skills. There are a lot of people out there who are looking for part-time workers. And do not limit yourself to just home-based jobs.
There are part-time jobs where you get to work in a professional environment.